Exclusive Interview | Christawn

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

|

We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.
 – Romans 12:6-8 NIV

Each of us possesses different gifts- some are called to prophesy, some to teach, some to preach. Others are called to rap. Christawn is one of them. His re-telling of his life as a drug dealer in the mean streets of New Jersey is both raw and revealing. At just 31, he has lived a life that most of us have only seen through television or movies. In this interview, Christawn discusses his call to ministry, his musical influences, and why his relationship with Christ is important.

Cassandra : Tell me about your album, Life Story

Christawn: Life Story is an album based on the stories about the lives of people that ran the streets. Much is based on what I’ve seen when I was in the streets. I’d say about 9 years ago I sold drugs in the streets of Camden, New Jersey. I was out there getting into a lot, like selling drugs and different types of stuff. God called me into ministry in 2004. He was speaking to me and told me to write an album that was based on the lives of people in the streets but also show people the other side to people transforming and living their lives for Christ. So…Life Story is really showing people who are out there in the streets that it is another side of life that is goodness and having a purpose for God.


I’ve been listening to, ok, more like bumping “Save Me” since the first time I heard it. What are you trying to convey in “Save Me”?

“Save Me” is a song that I wrote that displays a time when I was selling drugs and God saved me. He saved me when there was a point when it couldn’t have been anything else but God that saved me. [The experience] inspired me to write a song to let people know no matter what situation you are in, no matter how dark, God can pull you out of it. I was in a situation that I didn’t think I was going to get out. As I was doing the album I looked back [over my life] and was like “Man I need to write a song that not only inspires me but also inspires a whole lot of other people.” I wanted them to know that no matter what, God can bring you out of any situation, whatever it is. We have Micah Stampley on the song, whose voice is so powerful. We just came together and we got it done.

How were you able to get Micah to be a part of “Save Me”?

We were in the studio and we had all the verses laid to the song and the guy who was singing the hook at that time, didn’t fit the song. The producer, Gary Diggs, Shelton (the engineer) and I were sitting around [in the studio] and Shelton mentioned Micah Stampley. Shelton made a call to Ernest Pugh, and Ernest gave his number to Micah’s wife, who is also his manager. Gary talked to her; they agreed to listen to the song. So we sent the song for Micah to listen to. A few days later, they got back to us and said Micah liked the song, he wanted to participate and it went on from there.

I can understand Micah’s enthusiasm in wanting to be a part…the guitar intro is fire! Your lyrical style and delivery is very reminiscent of Nas or The Game. Do you get a lot of comparisons to Nas?

[Laughs] I do get compared to Nas a lot.

Read more after the jump

Did you always want to be rapper?

Yeah, I always wanted to be in the music industry somewhere. When I started rapping…I don’t tell a lot of people this but from the first time I wrote my first verse I knew that I had something that was going to change something in the rap game. I just knew it – I knew how I was writing and how deep it was. When you write from the heart people feel you more. So I knew everything that I wrote was from the heart. It wasn’t anything fake. It wasn’t anything that I haven’t lived or done; it was real life experiences. I knew people would be able to relate to it. I wrote my first song…it was 1999 I knew I had something [laughs] it wasn’t that good [laughs]. It was something that I knew lyrically if I get my flow together, my style together; it was going to be something that changes the rap game.

Have you revisited that first song you know tweak it a little?

I can't find it, I wish I could [laughs] I wish I could.

How do you keep up with your rhymes/song ideas? Are you like other artists - writing on napkins, toilet paper, your hand?

Yeah, Sometimes I do it like that but I have a notebook with me when I go out. I usually get my lyrics when I am driving or if I’m out taking a walk. It never happens when I’m sitting at home – I’m usually out somewhere. So I do carry a notebook so I am ready when something hits me lyrically.


What artists have inspired you?

[Laughs] Well you already know one of them, I will have to say definitely Nas, artists like Common, and Lupe Fiasco. They are the top three who have inspired me – just by how good they are lyrically.

What have you learned about the music industry that you did not know before?

[Laughs] I learned what a real producer is. I also learned that without a major distribution contract, it is very hard to get your music out and listened to by the world. I never knew it was that way in the industry. As I am learning and watching, I see things coming together when you have a major label backing you up. It’s a lot different than when you are with an indie.


I’ve read where artists prefer indie labels over majors…

A lot of people like to keep their freedom. When you are indie you have a lot of freedom to do what you want to do. If you are indie you can just get on anybody’s stuff. With a major label, you have to get permission to do certain things.

You are signed under Bishop Evan’s Abundant Harvest Entertainment label, what circumstances/events lead to you signing under him?

Bishop Evans had a label [before] for a good amount of time. For the past 7 years I’ve been going in and sitting with Bishop and talking about different things he was going to do for the label. He always said he was going to sign me as a Gospel Hip Hop artist. We talked and talked about it for a long time. He was just waiting for distribution before he signed anyone. A distribution agreement with Universal was made in 2009 after he signed me in 2008.

As I was listening to “Raise Up”*,  these particular lines touch me – All my friends disappear/when I came to Christ/ a fatal price/ to lose what you always love/ it almost killed me to see my girl change her love – when you came to Christ did you ever expect the people in your life to leave?

No not at all. When I decided to come to Christ it was like literally I mean literally overnight, people left. A lot of people I hung out with left after my change – it was that fast. I mean these were people I knew for years – one of them I knew for 10 years. When I look at it and I see how God says you have to come from among them. I can see God’s hand in it because you have to leave everything and follow Him. I see that God was in that. He had to be –the way people just left – it was unbelievable. I cried. It was a hurtful stage in my life to see the people that were so close to me to literally overnight being strangers. It was definitely a hurtful experience, but it built me up.

Do you see any old friends from time to time?

I see them in passing and they say the same thing: “Man where you been at?” I’ve been at the same place. I still live in the same place. I’m still in the same area, I’m asking “Where you been at?” Whenever I see somebody they say the same “Where you been? Where you been at??”[Laughs] I haven’t been anywhere, but yes, I do see a lot of people from time to time.
How important has your relationship with Christ been since that fateful day in 2003?

It really showed me that no matter where you are in your life – I mean it could be in the worst situation- God will come out of nowhere and pull you out. In reality we can’t see our whole life but God can see exactly where He’s going to take us and places us exactly where He wants us to be. My relationship with God showed me I can’t see my whole life – I don’t know what’s going to happen but as long as I am with God, with Christ I know everything will be ok. I knew I had something good to look forward to. If I had stayed in the streets, it would have been a bad situation. It showed me that no matter where I am going, God loves me. He took me out of [a bad situation]. Every time I think of Him I’m like “WOW, I don’t deserve it but I thank you.”


Life Story drops today (May 18) in stores & on ITunes and Amazon.com.


FMI on Christawn | Myspace | Facebook


Christawn’s 10 Random Truths:

1.  Favorite Rap Song? “Nas Is Like”
2.  Least Favorite Food? Sushi
3.  Three Artists on your IPod? Nas, Eminem, Hillsong
4.  Favorite Season? Spring
5.  One country you want to visit? Africa
6.  On-time or late for church? On time
7.  Favorite movie? Friday
8.  Worst subject in high school? Social studies
9.  Favorite Michael Jackson song? “Human Nature”
10. Favorite Bible Verse? Philippians 4:13

Author's Note - *"Raise Up" is not featured on Life Story


Listen | "Save Me"


Listen | "Raise Up"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Video

Recent Posts

Blogger WidgetsRecent Posts Widget for Blogger

Twitter Updates

Recent Comments